Academia de Español Continental organize a list of interesting activities for all of our students and today our students will visit the Museo Casa Santo Domingo one of the most famous hotels in Antigua and the difference to other hotels is the museum that is at the hotel and the colonial church.
The Dominican Order came to Central America in 1538 and its missionaries began a humble convent in Ciudad Vieja. Its founder, Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas, became known as the “Protector of the Indians.” Ironically, the order grew into the wealthiest on ein Antigua, owning a substantial chunk of the city. In 1701, the Dominicans began building a more impressive convent and church. The original church had two towers with 10 bells. One of the towers had Antigua’s first public clock. Both the church and the monastery were filled with artistic treasures. There was even an artificial lake for fishing (boats are available on the grounds) and a famous octagonal fountain. The monks then started the College of St. Thomas of Aquino (Colegio Santo Tomás de Aquino) a predecessor of the University of San Carlos. Unfortunately, the church and convent were totally destroyed in 1773 and never rebuilt. The ruins have been incorporated into Hotel Casa Santo Domingo. Opend daily.